Arthritis impacts over 58 million Americans and around 25% of children. Some people can manage their triggers and control their flare-ups. However, there are others that will deal with continued pain and discomfort. This poses the question, does arthritis get worse over time?
Does Arthritis Get Worse Over Time?
Arthritis is a condition with over 100 different types. While some individuals will experience the same symptoms and severity for years without it progressing, others will find that their arthritis worsens over time.
For example, the following types of arthritis can progress and worsen over time:
- Degenerative. Also known as osteoarthritis, this form of arthritis will worsen over time as the cartilage in the joint wears down. The loss of cartilage leads to the bones rubbing together, which will cause stiffness and swelling. Over months or years, the pain will become worse and chronic.
- Inflammatory. An inflammatory form of arthritis can be managed and is considered rheumatoid arthritis. If medication is taken early on and diagnosis is made in the initial stages of the condition, it can be well controlled and go into remission. However, if allowed to continue without intervention, the joints can begin to erode, causing further damage.
- Infectious. For some people, organisms begin to attack the joints, leading to infection and inflammation. STDs are a common cause of this form of arthritis and will cause inflammation of the joint. If left untreated, arthritis can become chronic and worsen over time.
- Metabolic. This form of arthritis is a result of uric acid in the body. Your body is designed to rid itself of this acid. However, if it cannot eliminate uric acid quickly enough, it will cause sharp crystals to form near the joints. Gout can follow as well as extreme pain if the uric acid isn’t reduced. When allowed to continue uncontrolled, metabolic arthritis can lead to severe pain and disability.
Managing arthritis early on and seeking a diagnosis when pain begins offers the best opportunity to stop arthritis from worsening. In addition, knowing the symptoms of arthritis can help you seek treatment before permanent damage occurs to the joints.
Symptoms of Arthritis and How They Can Change Over Time
Due to the many types of arthritis, the symptoms you experience may vary. However, it’s relatively common for people to experience the following:
- Pain in the joints
- Stiffness in the joints
In some circumstances, especially in children, the symptoms of arthritis may include:
- Eye inflammation
- Loss of appetite
When arthritis worsens, the symptoms get worse. You may experience more intense pain, stiffness, and swelling. Additionally, the pain may become more persistent and slowly begin to cause loss of quality of life.
Natural Remedies for Arthritis
Managing your symptoms and inflammation is one of the best ways to prevent arthritis symptoms from getting worse. In addition, your doctor may recommend medications or instruct you to lose weight to reduce the risk of arthritis worsening.
Fortunately, there are many natural remedies for arthritis that can be added to your daily routine.
- Aloe vera is known to help reduce inflammation and is available in multiple forms. You can use aloe vera topically, or some research shows the possible benefits of taking aloe vera orally.
- Boswellia serrata, better known as frankincense, is known for having potent anti-inflammatory properties. A 2011 study showed that it has the potential to help people suffering from gout, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoarthritis.
- DMSO can be used over time to help improve the benefits of other items on this list and can help reduce arthritis pain. Check out our article "DMSO for Arthritis" to discover all the ins and outs of how this natural remedy can help!
- MSM is a key supplement to take if you’re suffering from arthritis symptoms. In fact, an NIH study suggests that taking just 3.4 grams of MSM over the course of 12 weeks has the potential to reduce pain and stiffness. Learn more about all the benefits of MSM for arthritis here!
- CBD oils can be applied topically to achy or painful joints where arthritis exists. CBD can help relieve pain and also has the potential to reduce inflammation. One study found that CBD oil helped decrease joint inflammation and also protected the nerves when applied to the joint. If you want to learn more about the benefits of CBD for arthritis, you can read our entire article on it here.
Natural remedies that fight back against inflammation and pain are a benefit to anyone suffering from arthritis. However, you can also do other things, such as change your diet to focus on anti-inflammation and also control your weight. For example, people who are obese will experience more intense and worsening arthritis in their knees and joints than those who are a healthy weight.
Does arthritis get worse over time? Unfortunately, it can, but you can also take measures to slow or stop the worsening. Ideally, you’ll seek treatment as soon as you determine that you have arthritis. Allowing arthritis to go untreated can cause long-term damage to the joints and cartilage in the process.
If you're looking for the perfect method that combines all these natural remedies, look no further than Pain Warrior+ Cream!
Designed with those suffering from Arthritis in mind, this blend combines CBD and DMSO with, MSM, aloe vera and a pain bomb of essential oils including frankincense!
When you apply this non-greasy cream to your aching joints, it goes straight to work and penetrates deep into your tissues, so you can feel long-lasting relief in 5 minutes or less!
You don't have to put your life on hold anymore and can take the control back to achieve your dreams and live life again.